Elissa Buie Receives Lifetime Achievement Award
Earlier this month, Elissa was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Financial Planning Association’s National Capital Area chapter. The award recognizes an individual who was nominated by the local FPA community for their outstanding contributions to the profession. After the nominations were received, an Award Selection Committee evaluated each candidate based on the following criteria:
- Tenure with the FPA or predecessor organizations (IAFP, ICFP) for 10 years or longer.
- Elissa played a significant role in merging the Institute of Certified Financial Planners (ICFP) and the International Association for Financial Planning (IAFP) to form the Financial Planning Association. She is also a past Chair of the Financial Planning Association and is a Dean for the FPA’s Residency Program.
- Recognized for service to the profession.
- Elissa sits on the Board of Trustees and is a past Chair of the Foundation for Financial Planning, a pro-bono organization that has provided more than $6.2 million in grants to local, regional, and national nonprofits to support programs that link financial planners to people in crisis or need.
- Involvement in local or national organizations.
- Elissa has long been recognized for her contributions as a thought leader to the advancement of the profession through her writing, presenting, and teaching. Elissa’s written contributions have been published in The Journal of Financial Planning, the CFP Board’s Financial Planning Competency Handbook, Oxford University Press’s Financial Markets and Investment Series, and more. Additionally, she holds an appointment as Distinguished Adjunct Professor in Golden Gate University’s Ageno School of Business, where she and Dave co-teach the capstone Cases in Financial Planning course.
The emphasis for Elissa has been and always will be on giving back to others. When she received the award, she said, “You are not a profession until you give back through pro bono”.
Pictured from left to right is Daniel Tripp, Lauren Stansell, Yusuf Abugideiri, Dave Yeske, Elissa Buie, Ryan Klemm, and Cole DeLucas.