Elissa Buie Recognized – Again – as a Top Wealth Advisor by Washingtonian Magazine
Elissa Buie, CFP®, co-founder and CEO of Yeske Buie, has been recognized, again, as one of the area’s best fee-only financial planners by Washingtonian Magazine as part of the magazine’s Top Wealth Advisors listing for 2018. Elissa has appeared on all of Washingtonian’s previous lists of top wealth advisors. The listing appears in the January issue of Washingtonian Magazine which is now on newsstands.
To compile the listing, Washingtonian Magazine surveys hundreds of financial professionals in the Washington, D.C. area, asking “Who, besides yourself or someone else in your own firm, would you trust with your own money?” In addition to the peer survey, the magazine follows up the recommendations with their own research, interviewing experts and consulting industry organizations and publications. Those named to the list received the most recommendations from all sources. Elissa was one of fifty-nine fee-only financial planners named. Below are just a few examples of ways that Elissa has made an impact in the financial planning profession over her 35-year career practicing financial planning.
- Elissa played a significant role in merging the Institute of Certified Financial Planners (ICFP) and the International Association for Financial Planning (IAFP) to form the Financial Planning Association (FPA).
- Elissa is a past President of the Financial Planning Association and remains avidly involved with the Association.
- Elissa was the 2013 recipient of the P. Kemp Fain., Jr. Award, the profession’s equivalent of a lifetime achievement award.
Research and Publication
- Elissa has authored numerous articles and book chapters including…
- “To Feel… Like a CFP®”; published in July 2000 in the Journal of Financial Planning.
- “Policy-Based Financial Planning Provides Touchstone in a Turbulent Word”; co-authored with Dr. Yeske and published in July 2006 in the Journal of Financial Planning.
- “Evidence-Based Financial Planning: To Learn… Like a CFP®”; co-authored with Dr. Yeske and published in November 2011 in the Journal of Financial Planning.
- 17 Chapters of the CFP Board’s first-of-its-kind Financial Planning Competency Handbook; published by John Wiley & Sons in April 2013.
- “Policy-Based Financial Planning as Decision Architecture“; published by the Journal of Financial Planning in 2014.
- Chapter 15 of the Financial Markets and Investment Series, Financial Behavior: Players, Services, Products, and Markets; co-authored with Dr. Yeske and published in May 2017.
Speaking and Media
- Elissa has been quoted by and appeared on virtually every major media.
- Elissa was named among Financial Times’ Top 100 Women Financial Advisors, InvestmentNews’ inaugural Women to Watch list, and Northern Virginia Magazine’s Top Financial Professionals listing.
- Elissa is a frequent conference presenter on the topics of policy-based financial planning®, the discovery process in financial planning, and the role of science in the development of the profession. She has been a conference keynoter throughout the world, including the United States, Japan, the UK, South Africa, and Korea.
- Elissa is past Chair of the Foundation for Financial Planning for the Board of Trustees and is a significant financial contributor.
- Elissa holds an appointment as distinguished adjunct professor in Golden Gate University’s Ageno School of Business and co-teaches the capstone Cases in Financial Planning course.
- Elissa is a long-time Mentor for and Dean for the Financial Planning Association’s Residency Program.
- Elissa Buie Makes Fourth Appearance On Washingtonian Magazine’s List of Top Financial Planners